Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Why I Volunteer

Volunteering is a giving, growing, learning, sharing and receiving opportunity.  I also see volunteering as an opportunity to apply and sharpen my permaculture design skills while helping to build a resilient community.

The Restigouche Community Inclusion Network (RCIN) is a provincial (New Brunswick) not-for-profit organization with the mission of improving the quality of life for people living on a low income.

I am a founding member of this organization and its current President. I have one more year in my mandate as President and have begun to tutor my replacement.

The RCIN has built community gardens throughout our region and is developing with the participation of those gardens a cooperative so they can work together for mutual benefit. RCIN has also started school gardens and the schools are incorproating into the lessons plans, lessons from the garden.

This is work that gratifies, satisfies and enlightens me. I work with committed, enthused and knowledgeable people and this energizes me. This is only part of my reasons for volunteering my professionals services.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Native Plants

There are two projects happening here in Campbellton that have me turning to the subject of native plants. When we are discussing native pl...